Subject: Re: ResEdit Disassembler
To: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@insoft.com>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/21/1995 22:07:28
On Thu, 21 Dec 1995, John P. Wittkoski wrote:

> I just checked ResEdit 2.1.1, although I have seen it in 2.1.3 also.
> Open a code resource, select one of them, and then choose the
> Resource->Open Resource Editor item (for disassembly) or the
> Resource->Open Hex Editor item (for hex output) or both.
>
> Maybe I just happen to have a copy that already has the optional code
> dissembler installed? I never thought it was optional but....?

There's a very basic disassembler built-in.  The optional add-on does
a thorough analysis of the code, breaks it up into segments according to
the locations that jmp/jsr/b** (branch) calls are made to, and even
replaces known globals with their text strings.  Don't ask me how this
works or how well this works.  It's only very recently *that* it works.
Last time, it just crashed every time I opened a code resource.  I think
I've got a newer version than that now, though I'm still using 2.1.1.  I
think I had 2.0 or so before.  :-)

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |