Subject: Re: Native boot [was Booter 1.8]
To: Rick C. Petty <pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/21/1995 16:34:24
On Wed, 20 Dec 1995, Rick C. Petty wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Dec 1995, The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu> wrote:
>
> external on partition #5...  (it was an accident, and I couldn't figure
> out why I had System 7.1 running, when I just installed 7.5 on my internal)

:-)

> > through the boot.  Chances are the finder will mount it anyway.
>
> Nope.  My external takes to long to warm up, and every time I turned on
> my machine, it wouldn't recognize it.

Well, I've got a couple of extensions that are probably doing it, then.
One of them's HDT's extension (HDT Prober), the other (on some systems)
is the TimesTwo extension to mount removable TimesTwo disks.  That's
probably it.

> I installed SCSIProbe to fix the
> problem.  It's free somewhere, I think.

Easy to find with Archie. :-)

> > That still doesn't eliminate the need for the kernel to be able to figure
> > out the amount of real memory, though.  Also, I still say a
> > compartmentalized kernel would be a Good Thing(tm)*.
>
> Great idea!
>
> > * Good Thing(tm) is a trademark of somebody else.  All other trademarks
> > and registered trademarks are trademarks of their respective holders,
> > whoever they are.  All opinions expressed here are not my own.  They are
> > those of somebody else.  All other opinions are the opinions of their
> > respective writers, whoever they are (maybe).  This is a recording.
>
> (you should put a BEEP at the end)

Yup.

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |