Subject: finder and MMU
To: <>
From: Rick C. Petty <pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/21/1995 16:23:38
On Thu, 21 Dec 1995, Chris Mason wrote:

> All these capabilities are in ROM.  The finder uses them.  Segment loader,
> process manager, all that's in ROM.  You would still have use of them even
> if the finder wasn't there.  The finder's simply a glorified app.

What about the Finder Icon Suites?  According to my reference, it's
loaded with the Finder, but it has been wrong before (especially on
important matters, like trap #'s)...

I knew most of the rest was in ROM, that's the nice part about Macs.

> Also, there is a ROM call to switch MMU modes.   Have a peek in IM V -- OS
> Utils:
>
> PROCEDURE SwapMMUMode (VAR Mode:  Byte);
> CONST false32b = 0; {24 bit}
>       true32b = 1; {32 bit}

Great!  But: 1). Can this be done only at startup or anytime while the
machine is on?  2). What is the trap # ($Axxx)?  I don't have a C
compiler yet.  :(

--Rick C. Petty,  aka Snoopy
 email: pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu
   WWW:     http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/