Subject: Re: Native boot [was Booter 1.8]
To: Rick C. Petty <pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/21/1995 09:09:08
On Wed, 20 Dec 1995, Rick C. Petty wrote:

> really play with this at all.  But if you remove the finder, you remove
> all those important pieces of code, such as displaying finder suites,
> that may be important.  Plus, as Mr. Kurtz said, you lose the ability to
> load other applications.  Possibly, the ability to load and unload
> segments correctly as well...

You don't need the Finder to launch applications, but not very many other
Mac applications give you the user interfac to do that. E.g. I have used
the MPW Shell to launch applications while the Finder was busy doing large
file copies, and I'm fairly confident that I have also launched
applications from MPW Shell when the Finder has been killed in low memory
situations.

Launching applications is an operating system function (a set of traps),
not a function of the Finder. However the Finder is one of the very few
applications with a user interface to do this.

Neither is the segment loader dependent on the Finder.

regards
Erik Bertelsen.