Subject: Re: Native boot [was Booter 1.8]
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Rick C. Petty <pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/20/1995 16:28:57
On Sun, 17 Dec 1995, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> AFAIK, HFS drives are the same on HD as on floppy. So there's a partition
> map in there somewhere (starting at sector 2).

I'm almost CERTAIN that floppies don't have partition maps.  That's the
only difference between hard drives and floppies, but I may be wrong...

> Also, for reference,
> the boot blocks on my 7.1 startup HD don't even fill the full sector
> (512 bytes). The code sets up the disk, and lets it all rip.

Not even close.  Actually, about 2/3 for sys 7.1

> I'll admit it's neat to dig into things & figure out how the Mac works.
> As part of this thread, I've dug into how the startup process works,
> and disassembled the boot block on my HD. It's fun. It's cool. But

I've already disassembled the boot blocks, and I've put my own comments
in it.  If anybody is interested in seeing my comments, let me know.
(Though I'm a little behind in my email, obviously)

> I think we need some other stuff first, like SONIC Ethernet. Or
> IDE. Or the SCSI in the Q700 & later. Or to figure out what's wrong
> w/ the serial ports. Allen's to-do list says it all. Fixing these
> things will let us get to more computers & get more people using
> NetBSD. :-)

I would, but I have no experience or knowledge in any of these fields.  I
don't even have BSD working on my system yet.  I need more memory, unless
somebody has an LC3 kernel which works w/ 4 meg...

--Rick C. Petty,  aka Snoopy
 email: pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu
   WWW:     http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/