Subject: Re: Native boot [was Booter 1.8]
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Rick C. Petty <pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/20/1995 16:18:48
On Sun, 17 Dec 1995, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > the system folder to the root directory.  Move the enabler if one exists
> > to the root directory also (either that or delete the DSAT resources to
> > eliminate checking of system type and cross your fingers that it will
> > boot -- this worked last night, anyway).  Then delete the system folder

> DSAT resources are _messages_ about system type incompatabilities. They
> aren't the code itself. Eliminating them only makes us die a hideous
> death if the system is incompatable.

Trust him!  He knows!  This has happened to me countless times.  Don't
touch DSAT!  That's probably the most important part of the OS, if you
want my opinion.  Everytime your Mac crashes (Quit to the Finder, Unable
to Open APplication, etc), it uses DSATs somewhere.  I forgot what the
'D' stands for, but it continues "System Alert Tables".

> If we're making a boot partition on a Hard Disk, I think we'd want to
> keep the finder around, along w/ the Startup Disk CP, and maybe the
> Monitors CP. Thus if the user needs to fire up a full MacOS from
> another drive, he/she can.

Or redoing ther boot blocks, and putting the modified code in the BSD
partition, and set it up to boot from that partition.  Then the nextg
step would be a boot manager...  ;)

--Rick C. Petty,  aka Snoopy
 email: pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu
   WWW:     http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/