Subject: Re: Native boot [was Booter 1.8]
To: <>
From: Rick C. Petty <pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/20/1995 16:41:10
On Mon, 18 Dec 1995, Shawn Pearce wrote:

> You saying that all we gotta do is some moving of the MacOS system suitcase
> to get the mac to change the ENTIRE boot code to hold your app rather than
> the MacOS?  I highly doubt that!  Apple wasn't that stupid, was it?  All we
> gotta do is move the MacOS, delete a single resource, delete all system
> software, and restart?  And we are running the app as the OS, rather than
> the MacOS????????

Actually, Apple did many stupid things, and I think this is one of them.
It isn't as easy as just deleting one resource, since the MacOS does so
much initialization to get things to work.  Any application you design
may or may not work, depending on the calls it uses.  I've tried just
putting an app right after the boot blocks, but it didn't even give me a
sad mac.  Plus, now my drive makes funny noises...

--Rick C. Petty,  aka Snoopy
 email: pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu
   WWW:     http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/