Subject: boot blocks
To: <>
From: Rick C. Petty <pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/20/1995 15:50:41
On Sun, 17 Dec 1995, Shawn Pearce wrote:

> So your saying that if we replace the booting code that the mac uses, with
> a booter, and made a small parition (either a floppy or a 2 mb HFS) to boot
> from, it'd be similar to booting a mac now?

we could even make a boot partition, like Linux, etc. on the PC.  It
doesn't matter.  I, personally, would prefer to make a boot manager which
sits in its own partition.  In fact, I was working on that early in the
year until my computer crashed then I needed a bigger hard drive then I
had fall quarter...  Then, put boot information in the partition (BSD)
itself, not going through the MacOS at all, since we don't really NEED
to in the first place...

> I don't got any IM books, so someone else wanna lookup and confirm how to
> do this?  I'm willing to try working on this, just need the info...  Unless
> there is something else more pressing that needs to be done....

I don't have the IM books, either, but I do have most of the info (trial
and error), and a fun program called "THINK Reference"...

--Rick C. Petty,  aka Snoopy
 email: pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu
   WWW:     http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/