Subject: Re: Native boot [was Booter 1.8]
To: <>
From: Rick C. Petty <pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/20/1995 16:45:26
On Mon, 18 Dec 1995, The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu> wrote:

> > software, and restart?  And we are running the app as the OS, rather than
> > the MacOS????????
>
> No.  It runs the app instead of the finder.  You still have access to all
> macos capabilities, just without any way to launch the finder, no desktop
> pattern (I don't think), no way to change applications, etc.  Basically,

well, the desktop pattern is partly in the ROM, but the Finder doesn't
really play with this at all.  But if you remove the finder, you remove
all those important pieces of code, such as displaying finder suites,
that may be important.  Plus, as Mr. Kurtz said, you lose the ability to
load other applications.  Possibly, the ability to load and unload
segments correctly as well...

--Rick C. Petty,  aka Snoopy
 email: pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu
   WWW:     http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/