Subject: Re: Native boot [was Booter 1.8]
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Rick C. Petty <pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/20/1995 12:49:15
On Sat, 16 Dec 1995, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > if it is not setup correctly.  So.. again, what exactly is MODE32 doing
> > that can't be done by the kernel?
>
> Probably nothing. It's just that it knows more about what's up than we do.
> :-) To be honest, I don't really know how it works its magic, but its
> main effect is to patch the roms and get the memory system to switch
> to 32-bit addressing. We don't really care about the patched roms
> (as they don't make it to the MRG stuff). We just want that 32-bit
> addressing.

How about hacking at the MODE32 code to figure out how to switch to
32-bit mode?  If somebody would send me MODE32, I'd be willing to at
least take a look at it..

> But if you can do that kind of digging around, and are comfortable
> w/ 68k asm, we can use your assistance. :-)

I'm very comfortable with asm 68k.  What can I do to help?

--Rick C. Petty,  aka Snoopy
 email: pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu
   WWW:     http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/