Subject: Re: Native boot [was Booter 1.8]
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Rick C. Petty <pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/20/1995 16:33:27
On Sun, 17 Dec 1995, Andrew Gillham wrote:

> The bootblock automatically skips the first 32 bytes (a.out header),
> but I'm not 100% sure how much code it reads from the disk!  Could

When the mac starts up, it reads the first two blocks only, from the disk,
then jumps to address $4, I think.  There, a branch goes past the
"Macintosh Volume Information" stuff to where the actual code is.  This
boot block is copied into the first blocks out of the system file "boot"
#0.  Boot0 initialized the file system and opens up the system file to
read Boot #1, which chains to boot #2, where all the important stuff
happens.  BTW: this is all from memory, so I may be wrong.

--Rick C. Petty,  aka Snoopy
 email: pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu
   WWW:     http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/