Subject: Re: CR's in files
To: Jay Yanek <Jyanek@cris.com>
From: Jon Howell <jonh@cs.dartmouth.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/20/1995 13:22:31
> I'm having a problem with getting ^M instead of a return in files.  For
> instance, I downloaded 'dt-1.1.3' ... however, when looking at the source
> files, none were very readable since the returns were substituted with
> ^M.  Something didn't transfer right!  I could look at the correctly in
> Microsoft Word, but when transferred to unix it ran together.
It sounds like you downloaded the files to the mac side (say, with Fetch)
in ASCII mode. The MacOS likes ^M's, so fetch converted the Unix LF's to
MacOS ^M's. Then when you moved the files to MacBSD (with hfs?), they
were copied verbatim. Either download straight to NetBSD, or make sure you
always use binary mode.

> In another note ... I tried to just get the precompiled binary of dt to
> run (since make wouldn't obviously work), and it locked up the system.
Could be the same problem -- the binary got corrupted because the transfer
tools treated it like a text file.

                            Jon Howell
                 jonh@cs.dartmouth.edu
     603-643-2460 (h) 603-646-3297 (w)