Subject: Re: I'm up! was: Can't Boot NetBSD11
To: Les van Kanten <les@deltanet.com>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/19/1995 22:25:45
On Mon, 18 Dec 1995, Les van Kanten wrote:

> After installing the NSF kernel from eskimo like a couple of you suggested,
> I now get to the login prompt!
>
> Now what do I do? :)

two choices:

1.	login as root, no password for now.
2.	try booting single user and (unless you've tweaked the config
file in /etc) you shouldn't get the login prompt.

First things first, as soon as you get the # prompt:

	Remember to type "fsck" to check (and probably repair) the filesystem.
If your system acts anything like either of mine, you'll start off with
superblock damage.  Just keep hitting "y" until you get the # prompt again.
Then "mount -w /".  Try an fsck -f with it mounted read-write just to
make sure.  If nothing bad comes up, don't mark it clean a second time.
You'll have to reboot if you do.  If at any point it tells you to reboot,
type "reboot -n now" to reboot without syncing the filesystem.

	Set the root password with passwd.  Then start mucking with the
password database with vipw.  If you're connected to the I-Net, make sure
you configure your passfile *before* booting multi-user (to prevent
unexpected logins...).  Oops.  That's my paranoia setting in.

	When you're ready to switch to multi-user, just type exit.
Normally, you could just boot multi-user, but while you're setting things
up, keep it simple.

Hope this answers a few of your questions in advance.

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |