Subject: Re: I'm up! was: Can't Boot NetBSD11
To: Les van Kanten <les@deltanet.com>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@Glue.umd.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/19/1995 19:30:23
On Mon, 18 Dec 1995, Les van Kanten wrote:

> After installing the NSF kernel from eskimo like a couple of you suggested,
> I now get to the login prompt!
>
> Now what do I do? :)
>
> I just bought a nice thick Unix book to get me started.
> Thanks for the help,
>
> -Les
>
> Oh, what does 'sup' mean? supplant? supplement?
> What's sup?!

Well there is all sorts of things you probably want to do, you probably
want to at least name the mahcine and give it ip addresses if it is going
to be on network.  You will have to configure network interfaces, set up
the network time server.  Get it configured to mount NFS servers,
configure the domain name and the dns servers, add accounts for users
change the root password, and on and on ... other will probably suggest
even more things, but it all comes down to this -- what do you want to do
with unix?  Sup is a means for keeping a source tree up to date with a
master tree.  NetBSD uses sup so that all the people that want to track the
kernal changes can keep an up to date source tree of the master NetBSD sources.

--------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@eng.umd.edu
My home page