Subject: hacking Mac ROM's
To: <>
From: Rick C. Petty <pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/19/1995 14:23:53
On Fri, 15 Dec 1995, Allen Briggs wrote:

> > Any way to disassemble the "About this Macintosh" box code?  :-)  MacOS
> > does it somehow.  The question is, how?

I've done a little bit here.  I'd also be willing to disassemble more of
it, if you tell me what you want me to look for.

> There are gestalt calls for it, but the problem is how to determine it
> in the first place...  I think the ROM does it as part of the power-on
> sequence and it stores it in some low-memory global or something.
> Perhaps.

I don't think it does this, actually.  I'm sure it's software (sitting in
the System file)  Again, what are we trying to determine?

> > However, your statement above gave me an idea.  Move the
> > running program to somewhere above location 0MB.  Store some clearly
> > distinct pattern (like the text string from the font display window) at
> > location 0MB.  Then, just go through, starting at 1MB, moving on to 2MB,

Or like the example I gave earlier w/ the IIgs...

> I'm not sure what the problem with this approach is.  We did try this at
> one time and ran into some problem...

I can think of a few problems, but I can't imagine it would be something
that can't be fixed???  (even IF it's a Macintosh...)

--Rick C. Petty,  aka Snoopy
 email: pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu
   WWW:     http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/