Subject: Re: Native boot [was Booter 1.8]
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/19/1995 08:54:32
On Mon, 18 Dec 1995, Shawn Pearce wrote:

> MacOS sectors are any size they want.  IE - depends on disk size, since
> there is a max of signed long blocks (i think), then there has to be more
> than just 512 bytes per sector.  I think we could fit a lot into there.

Be careful with the terminology.

The disk is always formatted to 512 byte sectors, but while running MacOS,
the HFS uses it in terms of allocation units, which are limited in number
and therefore larger for larger disks.

NetBSD sees the same disk just as an ordinary disk with 512 byte sectors.

As the boot blocks are not part of an HFS partition, we are talking about
"real" sectors here.

regards
Erik Bertelsen
UNI-C.