Subject: Re: Native boot [was Booter 1.8]
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@andrews.edu>
From: Joshua P. Dady <jpd@rust.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/19/1995 00:30:53
>My impression of the Mac ROMs is that a major part of System
>6 is _in_ the ROMs, and getting native boot capabilities might be almost
>as easy (ha!) as getting Booter to run under System 6.

As I recall, when the Start Manager looks for a boot device, it and the
ROM SCSI Manager (which I believe is stripped a little) are available for use.

My IM V (yes, its old -- if you've got the time to work on this, get a
newer one) says that the Start Manager reads blocks 0 and 1 of a possible
boot device and if the version is 0x44 it executes the code at the
specified entry point.

One possible boot process is to build a bootable HFS volume an fill in
the rest of this structure in the boot blocks, and the other is to try to
squeeze enough boot code into the 2 blocks less 0x8A bytes to boot, while
only relying on the SCSI manager.

Good luck, programmer with much free time!