Subject: Re: Native boot [was Booter 1.8]
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
From: Shawn Pearce <spearce@injersey.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/18/1995 20:58:11
At 4:57 PM 12/17/95, "The Great Mr. Kurtz " <davagatw@mars.ut wrote:
>On Sun, 17 Dec 1995, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
>> My insticts are that you shouldn't touch the System file AT ALL. There
>> are two ways to go, as I see it:
>>
>> 1) Replace the code in the boot blocks with code which will fire up
>> NetBSD. Note: At this point in startup, we don't have a MacOS yet.
>> We just have rudiments which can deal w/ hardware. We don't even have
>> the ability to read files yet. This method would be the fastest, as
>> we don't load ANY MacOS, but we have a 24-bit memory scheme at this
>> point, so we'd need to screw heavily w/ the PMMU tables.
>
>Assuming the system even supports 24 bit addressing.  Yeah.  Disassemble
>MODE32 and stick the relevant sections in, set to execute only on older
>systems.
>
>> 2) Let MacOS come up. Note: we'd probably want to run w/ a minimal
>> system, possibly one just for the machine in question. We then either
>> relabel the booter to be the startup program (as described in the
>> bootblocks), or we just stick the booter in a Startup items folder
>> and set its preferences to boot after launch. The advantage of this
>> technique is that we don't really have to do anything new. We just make
>> minimal OS disks, stick on a booter, and away we go.
>
>Easier than that.  Install a minimum system, move the system file out of
>the system folder to the root directory.  Move the enabler if one exists
>to the root directory also (either that or delete the DSAT resources to
>eliminate checking of system type and cross your fingers that it will
>boot -- this worked last night, anyway).  Then delete the system folder
>and the rest of its contents, *including* the finder.  Finally, copy the
>program that you want to autoboot to the root directory of the disk.
>When you start up with the disk, your program will boot without the
>finder as the only executable program.  I don't know of a way to add
>extensions this way, though.  Good reason to include MODE32 in the
>booter.  (It would run at the time extensions normally do, anyway,
>approximately.)

You saying that all we gotta do is some moving of the MacOS system suitcase
to get the mac to change the ENTIRE boot code to hold your app rather than
the MacOS?  I highly doubt that!  Apple wasn't that stupid, was it?  All we
gotta do is move the MacOS, delete a single resource, delete all system
software, and restart?  And we are running the app as the OS, rather than
the MacOS????????

Shawn.

#  In Jersey: The Digital Information Network of the Garden State    #
#      Freelance HTML/Graphics/Programmer                            #
# http://nj5.injersey.com/~spearce/  ###  http://www.injersey.com/   #