Subject: Re: Lockup when choosing shell
To: Jay Yanek <Jyanek@cris.com>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@eng.umd.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/18/1995 14:26:10
>On Sun, 17 Dec 1995, Allen Briggs wrote:
>
>> Can you physically remove just to verify that it's the problem--there
>> may be an option to disable the external cache from a control panel,
>> but I'm not aware of what that control panel might be...  :-(
>>
>> -allen
>
>I removed the cache card, and still no dice.  Let me go
>further...
>
>If I boot with extra-debugger info on, using multi-user, I get:
>
>Changing root device to sd1a.
>PRAM: 0x30d482dc, macos_boottime: 0x30d482d1.
>vm_fault(10c000, 8bb3000, 1, 0) -> 1vm_fault(10c000, 8bb3000, 1, 0) ->
>1vm_fault(10c000, 8bb3000, 1, 0) ->
>
>then it hangs.
>
>Booting with extra-debugger info OFF, using multi-user, I get seemingly a
>bit farther...
>
>Automatic boot in progress: starting file system checks.
>/dev/rsd1a: FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK (SALVAGED)
>/dev/rsd1a: 1343 files, 21435 used, 126324 free (180 frags, 15768 blocks,
>0.1% fragmentation)
>vm_fault(10c000, 8bb6000, 1, 0) -> 1vm_fault(10c000, 8bb3000, 1, 0) ->
>1vm_fault(10c000, 8bb6000, 1, 0) ->
>
>then it hangs *sigh*.
>
>One reader of the list has mentioned, btw, that the cache card is not a
>problem on his machine.  Any help will be useful.
>
>Jay

I am running a snapshot off eskimo on a IIci with 8 meg of memory and an
ascante maccon nubus card.  I have not responded to this thread because as
yet I have not upgraded to 1.1 for a variety of reasons to include: finals
are comming up, I need to get my chip out to fabrication, and I haven't as
yet figured out a good strategy to upgrade painlessly.  Please don't get
discouraged, and try me back in about a week or on friday, I will probably
be working on things in ernest about then.  As for my one true perl of
wisdom for you:  I have never gotten kernals from allen to work on my IIci
for more then about
10 commands.  What does work very well is the NFS and only the NFS kernals
off eskimo(for reasons I don't entirely understand, but will be working on
soon (could there be different hardware version of the IIci?)).  Try one of
the NFS kernals from something like ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/w/wormey/netbsd/

Steve if you are listening could  you please send me the kernal config file
used to generate the NFS kernals?

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@eng.umd.edu