Subject: Re: Hanging starting network...
To: BSD Unix on PB145?! <uaumre@king.mcs.drexel.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/17/1995 20:27:24
>   I'm trying to boot my PB145 in multui-user mode, and it seems to be fine
>   until it gets to the messages :
>
>     starting network
>     add host myname.my.domain : gateway localhost
>

>   and then it hangs...any idea why this might be happening?

My off-hand guess is that you need to set the network up a little better,
though this is just a guess. All this stuff is happening in the
/etc/netstart script, so look there for particulars.

My machine's named pokey (it is, after all, a IIsi :-) and its in
the Stanford.EDU domain (well, it thinks it is - it's really at home).

So I set /etc/myname to be pokey ("echo pokey > /etc/mymane").
I set the domain name in "/etc/resolv.conf". Note: I use ppp, and have
my ppp-up script set to move /etc/resolv.conf.down to /etc/resolv.conf
after start. ppp-down does the reverse.

Good luck!

Bill