Subject: Re: Native boot [was Booter 1.8]
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/17/1995 21:00:44

> No! See my other post. If we replace the boot code, we don't get MacOS.
> We don't need an HFS partition. We don't get a filing system. We
> don't get windowing systems (so the booter would have to be re-written
> and lots of user interface overhead added). We get to do it all ourselves.

You can still access the ROM routines, even using a different bootblock.
This all works:
        InitGraf(&qd->thePort);
        InitFonts();
        OpenPort(&gPort);
        EraseRect(&gPort.portRect);
        TextFont(monaco);
        TextSize(9);
        printk(">> NetBSD BOOT: 32768 k [0.0]\n");
        printk("Boot: [[[sd(0,a)]/netbsd][-adrs]] :- ");
        printk("\n");
        EjectDisk(BootDrive);

But.. only with crtmac.o, and libmac.a (under MacMinix)  Perhaps the
startup code from MacMint might be used, as the MacMinix stuff is copyright
Prentice Hall.

-Andrew