Subject: Re: Can't boot NetBSD11
To: Les van Kanten <les@deltanet.com>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/17/1995 15:11:37
On Sat, 16 Dec 1995, Les van Kanten wrote:

> I have a Mac IIci with 8 megs, no nubus cards, and System 7.0 .
> I have installed base11, netbsd11, etc11, comp11, man11, misc11, and text11.

Did you remember to build devices in the intaller?

> Booting with Booter 1.8, as single-user, and Auto-size RAM checked, it goes
> through the boot process and then asks
> 'Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:'
> After I hit return, the cursor just sits there and I can't type anything.
> I've also tried booting with 7 megs and Auto-size Ram unchecked, but I
> don't get any further.

Well, in future testing, AFIK, don't bother to turn off auto-size.
That's outdated now.  IIci's do require virtual memory to be off, but I
think that would have failed long before the RETURN for sh prompt.  Same
with having the video display set to b/w.

> What else should I be doing? Is System 7.0 too old?

By the time you get to the shell request message, NetBSD is already
running and the kernel is functioning.  MacOS doesn't even *exist* in
memory by that time.  AFAIK, NetBSD recently stopped working on some
System 6 systems, but 7.0 ought to be just fine.  You might want to
upgrade to 7.0.1 though, for the bug fixes.  You can download 7.0.1 from
the I-Net.

> Is there any other
> documentation besides the FAQ?

Which one?  Have you tried the new FAQ's (on puma, I think)?

Finally, to end with another question, is this the *standard* netbsd11
distribution or one of the patched ones?  I don't know off hand which
kernel is best matched to a IIci.  Anyone?

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |