Subject: Re: Transferring telnet sockets between apps.
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/16/1995 15:53:54
On Sat, 16 Dec 1995, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > Does anyone know of a way to transfer a socket from one login system to
> > another?
>
> So you want people to be able to telnet to the standard port and get
> transfered to an alternate port, like a MUD? Why not just have them
> telent to that port directly? Under U*ix, "telnet <host> [port]" works.

The idea is to make it idiot-proof.  I've heard third or fourthhand
gripes from several sysadmins about how many people telnet to port 23 and
try to login as if it were his/her talker or mud.  That would especially
cause problems if the login script keeps a log of failed attempts....
Whereas, if they could just type talker or mud at the login prompt... and
then be connected to the talker... things would be a *little* easier.

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |