Subject: Re: Transferring telnet sockets between apps.
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/16/1995 12:59:34
> Does anyone know of a way to transfer a socket from one login system to
> another?  Stated simply, if I were to set up an alternate process to
> handle telnet requests (like a MUD, MOO, talker, database, etc) on an
> alternate port, would it be possible to alter the standard login script
> and the alternate login program so that if a user accessed the regular
> port, he/she could type something for the user name and get his/her
> socket transferred to the other login program?

So you want people to be able to telnet to the standard port and get
transfered to an alternate port, like a MUD? Why not just have them
telent to that port directly? Under U*ix, "telnet <host> [port]" works.
I often "telnet localhost smtp" to check sendmail configurations.
Also, the Stanford telnet application and the Versaterm Telnet Tool
permit the specification of the port number for a telnet session.
Would this do?

Take care,

Bill