Subject: Re: Native boot [was Booter 1.8]
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/16/1995 13:08:18
On Sat, 16 Dec 1995, Allen Briggs wrote:

> The 68020 in a Mac II needs the 68851 to run NetBSD.  The 68030 and 040
> have built-in MMUs of their own.  The 68030 MMU is quite similar to the
> '851.  The 040's is different.

The first half, I gathered from this old book on the 020 and 030.  The
040's is different, huh.  What a drag.  How drastic are the differences?
Does NetBSD use the PMMU/030 MMU to signal page faults, etc. for the
swap/virtual memory, or is it all handled with a table lookup scheme?

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |