Subject: Re: Native boot [was Booter 1.8]
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
From: Julian Bean <jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/16/1995 14:06:02
>> Seems like the only requirement should be that you know whether the
>> video is in 1bit/4bit/8bit mode?  AFAIK I'm in 8bit at the happy mac
>> screen, as that is what is configured.  Perhaps it is automatically in
>> 1bit there?  I guess I'll have to add a putpixel routine.
>
>I pretty much think that you're right about the first part, anyway.  Of
>course, I don't know about the second.  I think it's in whatever mode is
>set in the PRAM.  The MacOS checks it at more than one point, too.  If
>the PRAM gets erased, (at least on PowerMacs) it recreates it at the end
>of the boot.  Much to the surprise of the Apple Technical ppl, mine even
>switched back into hi-res mode!  Weird, huh.

AFAIK, that happens because of the boot code in the Monitors control panel
- the Monitors control panel has a disk-based copy of what it thinks the
current screen settings are (it's a 'scrn' resource - I dunno whether its
in the System or the control panel).

You can confirm this by rebooting with the shift key down - then it honours
the PRAM video settings.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  |                                 |  6 Evelyn Road        |
|  Jules aka     |  jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk  |  Richmond, Surrey     |
|  Julian Bean   |                                 |  TW9 2TF    *UK*      |
|  Three things hold a secret: A lady riding in a dream, the dog that      |
|  sounds no warning, and the maid who does not scream.                    |