Subject: Re: Native boot [was Booter 1.8]
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/15/1995 22:34:45
On Fri, 15 Dec 1995, Allen Briggs wrote:

> There's also no good, easy way to determine the amount of RAM in the
> system (that I've found).  You can't even try probing because the
> address map wraps around (i.e., in an 8MB Mac II, the memory address at
> 8MB should fault, right?--wrong.  It's a copy of the byte at address 0).

Any way to disassemble the "About this Macintosh" box code?  :-)  MacOS
does it somehow.  The question is, how?

I've poured through my $5 copy of Encyclopedic Mac Rom and haven't found
anything.  However, your statement above gave me an idea.  Move the
running program to somewhere above location 0MB.  Store some clearly
distinct pattern (like the text string from the font display window) at
location 0MB.  Then, just go through, starting at 1MB, moving on to 2MB,
etc. until you find the first one that maps onto "How Razorback-Jumping
Frogs Can Level Six Piqued Gymnasts!" or whatever the line is.  That
would be terrible in an Apple II checking every 64k, but on a Mac,
checking every 1MB, it shouldn't be bad at all, right?  (Note, if you
can't use 0MB, use 1MB or whatever.

Thoughts on this?

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |