Subject: Re: Native boot [was Booter 1.8]
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/15/1995 23:13:58
> Dunno.  It'd make the kernel a lot bigger.  Maybe if the kernel were
> split into several modules, with the booter assembling them at boot time
> for the particular system into the netbsd file.  Complicated and
> time-consuming, but worth considering for complete machine-independence.

I don't really know anything about how the PMMU is configured, but from
reading pmap_bootstrap.c, it looks like it will initialize the PMMU
if it is not setup correctly.  So.. again, what exactly is MODE32 doing
that can't be done by the kernel?

> The 1 bit stuff seems to only be a problem on certain systems.  The IIsi,
> for instance, can boot in 256 color mode as well, albeit a *lot* slower.

Ahh, I didn't know about this.  Excellent!  Too bad I have a IIci.. :(

Anyway, I suppose my talking about this is a waste, as I can't actually
write the code. :-)  I suppose I need to get my machine working right
with the current Booter/kernel configuration before I go looking for
new dandy features.

-Andrew