Subject: Re: Native boot [was Booter 1.8]
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@andrews.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/15/1995 19:05:01
On Fri, 15 Dec 1995, Andrew Gillham wrote:

> Perhaps NetBSD/mac68k should run _under_ MacOS like MachTen, then we
> don't duplicate so much work?

Only big problem is TCP.  The MacMiNT people are struggling with that
right now.  MacTCP stinks.  Period.  I thought it had a maximum of 32
connections, although someone else said 64.  Regardless, that's a joke.
Everybody else's unix clone boxes (linux, etc) can handle 64 logins for
users alone (although many are horribly slow with that many users at
one time).  That's not counting httpd, ftpd, fingerd, POPd, and all
the other 50 trillion daemons that people will be running, each of which
would be handling several connections at any given point.  Putting a cap
on connections makes sense under MacOS, I guess, because only one
person's using it.  MacTCP wasn't designed for a multi-user system and
really can't support one effectively.  Now, if the NetBSD people and the
MacMiNT people all pushed Apple hard enough, maybe they'd let us have the
source code....  NOT!

> What about the MODE32 extension, or the 32bit memory config?  Wouldn't
> that all need to be on the floppy? (how does the Memory control panel
> work?)

Groan.  The Memory control panel... typical Apple design....  No memory used
except when you have it open.  Basically, it's adjusting settings in the PRAM
that directly control the hardward.  I don't know how MODE32 works.  As for
needing the Memory CP, no.  As for needing MODE32, yes, but provisionally.
You'd have to have some sort of interfacing software that MODE32 would
interpret as being the MACOS, probably complete with stack, memory
assignment, etc. in order for an extension to run, although I don't know
anything about that particular extension to say for sure what it requires.
Chances are, MODE32 would need to be disassembled and its function replicated
early in the new booter, but only for systems that need it.  There's the rub.
The program would literally have to contain a list of settings for every
computer system.  Does this system have a color video card?  If so, set it
to b/w.  Does it have 32 bit built in?  If not, MODE32(); etc.  Moral:
don't try it on an 800k floppy unless part of this code is stored on the
Unix partition itself.

It's gonna take some work.  I think it could be done pretty easily for
systems that don't require MODE32 and have already been set for b/w.  If
you assume those two things (and still maintain a booter for people who
*need* MODE32 until its code becomes integrated), the new booter wouldn't
be bad.

Just some thoughts,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |