Subject: Trouble compiling pine, pico, httpd
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/15/1995 17:42:10
Will *any* serious programs compile without an FPU?  So far, pine failed,
pico failed, and NCSA HTTPd failed, all with fpu_emulation_type = none
not recognized errors.

On that note, in trying to compile pico and pine, it regurgitated more
errors than I can count (4 errors, repeated over and over and over).
The errors were part of the os specific stuff.  I asked it to build for
BSD.  Should I have built for A/UX instead?  The errors were warnings
about conflicting types for built-in functions memcmp, memcpy, strcmp,
and strcpy.  Also, the system said that pine uses gets(), which is
unsafe.  Tree :-) questions.  Why is gets unsafe?  If it's unsafe, why is it
used in Pine?  What problems am I likely to experience using Pine with
this instruction?

Any suggestions?  If not, does anybody know a site for binaries for this
stuff?  Waiting 45 minutes for pine and pico to build, only for them to
fail in the last 30 seconds is pretty ridiculous.  (HTTPd built to the
crash point in just a few minutes, so that wasn't quite as bad.)

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |