Subject: Re: Partitioning with APS 2.7.3?
To: Tim Schmidt <schmidt.180@osu.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/12/1995 10:35:25
On Mon, 11 Dec 1995, Tim Schmidt wrote:

> Hi.  Please forgive the newbie questions.
>
> I am trying to partition my 105M hard drive for use with NetBSD/m68k 1.1.
> As recommended in the INSTALL file, I obtained a copy of Alliance Power
> Tools 2.7.3.  The INSTALL file says the root partition must be at least
> 50M for the full installation, which implies that the partition may be
> smaller if you don't want the full installation, or if you will have a
> /usr partition.  However, A.P.T. will not allow an AU/X root partition
> of less than 55.6M (or greater than 75M).  Is there any way around this?
> Or is there another program available for FTP that will partition?  (I
> can't use Apple's HD SC Setup because this isn't an Apple hard drive.)

You might try selecting root & usr instead of root.  Speaking for myself,
trash APT and get the patched Apple HD SC Setup.  There's a version
that's patched to accept any drive, called 7.5.2+ I believe.  If you
can't find it anywhere else, drop in to

ftp://mug.utm.edu/STAFF_APPS/Gopher/MUG/pub/apple/AppleHDSCSetup7.3.2+.hqx

> Also, it seems A.P.T. will only create a root partition, swap partition,
> and the recovery partition, leaving the rest for an HFS partition.  How
> does one create /usr, /var, /etc and so forth?  Must they be on seperate
> drives?

Typically, they're all part of your A/UX Root & Usr Slice 0 partition.
You can create a separate usr partition, but I don't know much about it.

The nice thing about the Apple partitioner is that the minimum for Root &
Usr is only about 32 Megs.  I don't remember if there *is* a max.  Not
sure.

> Once again, sorry for intrusion.  I know a bit about unix as a user, but
> none at all as a system admin.

The best way to learn is to jump in and try something new.

> Thanks for your time.
>         Tim
>
> ______ Tim Schmidt ______
> The Ohio State University // Doc: Are you troubled by impure thoughts?
> schmidt.180@osu.edu // Patient: To tell the truth, I rather enjoy them!

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |
  Brick Wall Deleted