Subject: Re: Deskwriter setup
To: None <brown@cards.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/11/1995 12:19:31

> About a week ago, I read on this group about somebody using a
> deskwriter.  I spent the weekend trying to set mine up, to no avail.
> Could someone please send me a printcap entry for a HP Deskwriter.  I
> looked in my Deskwriter manual which said the baud was set to 57600
> (hardwired serial), I tried setting the br=#57600 in my printcap
> file, but got an illegal baud message when I tried lpc up lp.  Any
> ideas.  I have local-talk connectors also, should I try to use them
> instead of the serial cable?  Any help would be appreciated.

I've got my DeskWriter up, so maybe I can help.

Don't use the LocalTalk connectors.

Don't use printcap to set up the port. lpd uses the old tty setup
routines, so it can't access some of the cool (and needed) features
of the modern tty stuff (I've forgotten the names of the various
routines, so I'm vague). Also, it's hard-coded to not like bauds above
19200 or so. I forgot exactly where the cutoff is, but AFAIK the
routine called to set the baud rate won't be happy with 57600, so it's
more than just lpd.

I've got a "stty -f /dev/tty01 raw 57600 crtscts" in my rc.local script.
For you, I'd suggest "stty -f /dev/tty01 raw 57600 crtscts opost onlcr".
This will: turn off all character processing, set the port rate, set
hardware flow control (which was implimented just so I could get my
DW to work), and then turn on output processing so that UNIX's NL's
get turned into CR's.

Or if you can wait a bit, I have a simple input filter which sets
the DeskWriter to accept NL's as CR/NL pairs, then prints the file.
this way, we don't need the stty output processing, so we can dump
PCL code directly to the printer & print graphics.

Take care,

Bill