Subject: PPP login sequence? ISDN vs. modem
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David C. Myers <dcmyers@access.digex.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/11/1995 12:41:13
Does anybody know what the actual PPP login sequence goes like?  I'm having
the strangest problem logging in to my two accounts.  When going through a
14.4 modem, the PPP 'chat' script works fine, and as soon as the connection
is made, the server prompts me with "login:".  This is how I expected it
would work.

But...I use an ISDN terminal adapter to access my other account.  My NetBSD
system (SE/30) won't support the full bandwidth of an ISDN line, but I can
still talk and make calls at a DTE rate of 57.6.  When I try this, though,
I get the "CONNECT 57600" message, but no further prompting for a login and
password.  Eventually, it will come back with "NO CARRIER".  Anybody have a
clue why it would work with the modem and not work with the ISDN modem?
There doesn't appear to be any special prompting I need to do, as the login
prompt comes up automatically with the modem...Furthermore, the ISDN TA is
supposed to behave in every way like a Hayes modem.

Note that from MacOS, I can use the ISDN box normally.  MacPPP has no
problem with it calling to the same service provider.

Thanks for any help.

-David.

David C. Myers                                     dcmyers@access.digex.net
                                                     pp001628@interramp.com