Subject: X on 832x624 Lapis display card
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Myers <dcmyers@access.digex.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/10/1995 22:20:53
I have assumed for a while that the X server on MacBSD was incompatible
with the Lapis ProColorServer 8/16 board in my SE/30.  However, a post in
the netbsd newsgroup convinced me that I was mistaken, so I checked it out
again.  Turns out the X server will run as long as I use the board in
640x480 mode (monochrome, of course).  When I put it in 832x624 mode, the
kernel start-up messages report the grf1 device as 640x481.  (Yes, 481 -- I
have no idea why the extra row appears.)  X still thinks it's a 640x480
display, so the X desktop is all messed up.  Why does this happen?  I also
have a full page display card, which has a fixed resolution of something
like 600x800, and that works fine under X.

The board is a one meg video board, supporting 640x480, 832x624, and
1024x768 video modes.  Is there any way I can force the kernel, or the X
server, to recognize the higher display mode?

Suggestions welcome.

-David