Subject: Re: Closer still to the problem
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@insoft.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/08/1995 18:04:02
On Fri, 8 Dec 1995, The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu> wrote:

 [ description of disk problems deleted ]

> Any suggestions?  Would upgrading from the Alpha to the release version
> fix this or make it worse (I've heard some users complaining about the
> new SCSI driver in the release version)?

David,
You know, the problems you seem to be experiencing remind me of some problems
I had when the termination on my drives was incorrect or my SCSI cables were
going bad.

Do you have a MacOS partition on the same drive as NetBSD? Do you have
problems with that partition at all? In my experience, NetBSD fsck is
not nearly as tolerant as the MacOS can be, so you may not be seeing the
problem on the MacOS side.

Someone may have mentioned this before, but have you double checked your
termination settings and/or tried a different SCSI cable? Termination tends
to be somewhat of a black art, and in my experience the Mac hardware can
often tolerate the wrong termation settings, so that it appears to work most
of the time, but gives flakey results other times.

	--John

 John Wittkoski				InSoft, Inc.
 Senior Systems Engineer                Phone: (717) 730-9501
 Email: jpw@insoft.com                  Fax  : (717) 730-9504