Subject: NetBSD1.1 Serial
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Runs With the Night Hawks... <hawks@mcs.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/07/1995 17:57:00
Hi all, I may have just gotten some insite to the serial problems with 1.1 on the
mac.  I was talking with a co-worker and he mentioned that the Sun serial driver
handled handshaking badly.  Actually it handled
transmit handshaking fine, but payed no attention
to receive handshaking.  Specifically, it never dropped RS causing lots
of fifo overflows, just like we've been seeing on NetBSD.  I dont know
exaclty how much the current serial driver is based on the Sun3 SunOS3.5 driver,
but the error messages zs0a seem to say it is, at least in some part.

One way to see is for ppl to payattention
and see if fifo errors occur
during large file "puts"
and "gets".  If they only occur during "gets" we probablly have our
culprit.  Another way would be for someone eith a modem with RS/CS lights
to wathch both, if the CS changes on/off but the RS never drops then
that for sure is our problem.

Like I said, I dont know if this for sure is the problem, but it may be
something to look into espically if the serial driver is based
on the sun serial driver, and if that is based of SunOS3.x/4.1.<4 serial
code.

A thought, any comments?

Alan Palmer
hawks@mcs.com <- prefered
alan_palmer@il.us.swissbank.com

sorry aboutthe funky formatting, bad network problems to this account and
I couldn't tell how far accross the screen I was half the time :)