Subject: Re: LC 520 or LC 575 working?- serial console
To: Todd Williamson <toddw@rb.isl.secom.co.jp>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/07/1995 13:46:22
> 3.  NetBSD 1.1 kernel with serial console:
>
>     Nothing seems to come out of the serial port (I tested this both
>     with a serial port tester and by having a terminal connected).

That's because the version of ser.c (the serial code) which had
a working serial console didn't make it into 1.1 . My latest
version, ftp://puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us/private/wrstuden/ser.c.951109
has console code which has worked for me. Allen has had difficulties
with it on his PowerBook, so I'm not sure if it's ok.

As soon as I can get time at my computer, I plan to upload my
current version. The above is a modified form as my version gets
hideously verbose if debugging is turned on. So I'd appreciate it
if some adventurous souls could try the code.

Note to IIsi users (and possibly others): There's a problem with the
defined scc clock rate (defined in machdep.c I think). It's down as
120000 or something around there, and it really should be 115200 (the
same value as for a II or IIx). So when the serial console comes up &
tries to run at 9600, it'll transmit at 8860. :-( The easy fix is
to change the serial port default rate to 19200 (a rate which works right
due to the beauty of integer rounding). This value is in ser.c, and I'll
try to upload a version with the faster rate set.

Thanks!

Bill