Subject: RE: Re: FPU problems
To: Erik Stokhof <ERIK.STOKHOF@wkap.nl>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/07/1995 14:12:07
Erik (erik.stokhof@wkap.nl) wrote:
> Sorry, I should have supplied that. I am running an LCIII with 8 MB RAM,
> Formac accelerator board (50 MHz 68030 + 50 MHz 68??? (coprocessor,
> anyway)), extended video memory (758 kB), intenal 80 MB Quantum hard drive,
> external 80 MB Seagate hard drive that I run NetBSD from and a Zip-drive.

Okay, as long as it's a 68k chip, whether it's a 68882 or a 68881
doesn't matter much.

> The errors I see are mainly 'umimplemented instruction', a number of
> 'debugger' calls, and then everything freezes.

Hmm...

> As to why I need an extension to access the copro, I'm not that well versed
> in these matters, but I was told that the LCIII is not really built for use
> of an FPU/accelerator board/maybe even the PDS-slot. To be honest, I don't
> know. The board is disabled when I disable the extensions, though, so there
> must be some truth in it.

The accelerator board is disabled when you disable the extensions...
So, the CPU and FPU on the board cannot take over the machine from the
moment you turn it on...  I suspect your accelerator is not a simple
replacement for LCIII's on-board CPU, and that's why NetBSD chokes on
it...  It's just my guess, though...

Does anyone have the same accelerator?

ken