Subject: LC 520 or LC 575 working?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Todd Williamson <toddw@rb.isl.secom.co.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/07/1995 10:27:13
I tried to get NetBSD-mac to work on the above two machines yesterday.
I'm new to NetBSD-mac, but I've been running NetBSD-i386 for several
years now.

I realize that neither the LC 520 nor the LC 575 has a math
coprocessor, but I wanted to see how far I could get in getting these
two systems to work.  I had heard that the kernel would at least boot
on machines without a math coprocessor, so I thought I'd give it a
whirl.

On the LC 520, I tried both the stock NetBSD 1.1 kernel, and the
ADB Test kernel that I ftp'd from microserve.com.  (note kernel config
messages are typed in by hand from notes, so there may be some typos):

Results:
1.  Booting with the NetBSD 1.1 kernel without serial console:

    adb: bus subsystem
    Got following HwCfgFlags: 0xec00,0x    773f, 0x1b404926,0x0
    mrg: setup_egret:
    unknown OS trap 0xa247, no trap address available
    panic: mrg_aline_super()
    Stopped at _Debugger+0x6: unlk a6
    db>

    Of course, with no adb, I can't do anything with the debugger at
    this point.

2.  Booting ADB Test kernel:

    mrg: skipping egret setup
    adb: calling ADBReInit
    (length=0x2): 0xff 0x00
    (length=0x2): 0x00 0x00
    adb panic: caught something we didn't ask for!
    (length=0x2): 0xff 0xff

    (the above messages are then repeated a bunch of times)

3.  NetBSD 1.1 kernel with serial console:

    Nothing seems to come out of the serial port (I tested this both
    with a serial port tester and by having a terminal connected).

    The messages on the console make it all the way to the "Changing
    root device to sd0a" point, and print out a warning about not
    being able to read the PRAM time correctly (which I assume isn't
    fatal).  Then nothing else happens on the console.  Is this when
    the serial console is suppose to start working?  I tried turning
    on "serial boot echo" as well, but still no messages on the serial
    port.

On the LC 575, I didn't want to have to repartition the drives, and I
noticed that there was an option to boot a kernel off of the MacOS
partition.  So I tried that, but the machine locked up after I hit
return to actually boot NetBSD.  Is it actually possible to boot a
kernel without having any NetBSD (A/UX) partitions?  Of course it will
die when it tries to exec init, but will it make it that far?

Anyway, I just thought I'd pass along my experiences on a couple of
machines that I didn't see any information about in the FAQs.  I'd
love to run NetBSD on these machines, but I don't have the time to try
to set up a debugging environment.

If anybody has any ideas about why the serial console isn't working,
or wants to have me try a new kernel on this hardware, feel free to
send me some email.  For the time being, I have given up on getting
MacBSD to work.

Todd Williamson
Robotics Group, Intelligent Systems Laboratory
SECOM Co, Ltd. JAPAN