Subject: Re: NetBSD/mac68k on a Powerbook ????
To: Phil Taylor <phil@zipmail.co.uk>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/06/1995 09:13:16
On Tue, 5 Dec 1995, Phil Taylor wrote:

> I have downloaded  the 1.1 snap off puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us and
> installed it on an my Powerbook 150 on an external 40MB. The
> installation seemed to work OK, other than an occasional
> un-implemented instruction error (I re-booted and started the
> installation again).

Those unimplemented trap errors are probably your unix partition running
out of disk space.  If you're trying to install the compiler, make sure
you install that *first* and delete the man pages to save lots of space.
Then, don't install misc11 or man11.  Even then, a 40 Meg partition is
pushing it.  You should probably consider putting part of the software on
small partition on your internal drive.

> Using booted 1.8 I get plenty of unix type booting messages (looks
> great up till now) then it  clears screen and :
>
> [ preserving 89324 bytes of netbsd symbol table ]
> Bootstrapping NetBSD/mac68k.
> Getting mapping from MMU.
>
> And there is hangs !!!!
>
> Now, I am assuming that the Powerbook 150 has no FPU and that this is
> an FPU related problem (excuse my ignorance but is an MMU the same
> an FPU ?????)

Okay.  There's no similarity there.  MMU stands for Memory Management
Unit, and all computers have one of some sort.  Powerbooks all use
PMMU's, or Paged Memory Mgmt. Units.  It's just a chip that handles the
storage and retrieval of data to & from your memory chips.  I don't
remember my PowerBook model numbers, but I think that system is greyscale
at least.  Did you remember to set the bit depth to black-and-white in
the monitors control panel?  Is virtual memory turned off (memory control
panel)?  Is 32 bit addressing turned on (also memory cp)?

> Please excuse my ignorance but although I use Net/FreeBSD on pc's and >
am playing with Linux/MIPS I am not quite up to speed on the Mac and > any
guidance would be grately appreciated. > > I remember the last time I
tried to use NetBSD/mac68k I didn't get > past a telling me it was out of
'Miracle Whip and Oreos' so I > suppose this is an improvement ????? > >
Cheers > > > Phil

That was replaced with a more obvious "This has not been tested on your
system and will probably crash" message.

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |

</SIG>