Subject: Re: No 'adduser'?
To: William A Carrel [writer of souls] <llandril@baker.cnw.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@romulus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/06/1995 10:50:14
> I just got BSD1.1 from eskimo.com, but it seems an odd omission was made.
> 'adduser' is missing.  Have I been hanging out with Linux folks too long,

Yup, adduser-like sysadmin tools are relatively new inventions in the
UNIX world and are not universally accepted UNIX conventions; UNIX
systems were traditionally administered by skilled sysadmin who didn't
need adduser on a system with hundreds of users, or who could write
one if they wished.

It doesn't mean adduser shouldn't be added to NetBSD, of course... ;-)

Personally, I don't feel that much need for adduser, deluser(?) and so
on, on my NetBSD boxes where only a couple of users exist.

> or should this be there?  Where do I get it?

No, there is none written for NetBSD yet.  However, there is the man
page...  I think I heard someone was volunteering to write one, though.

Try "man vipw" and "man 5 passwd", and edit passwd file with vipw.

ken