Subject: Re: Kinetics EtherPort SE/30
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter K. Johnson <ppk@throat.axis.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/06/1995 06:40:09
From: kenn@romulus.rutgers.edu (Ken Nakata)
> I got an ethernet card made by Kinetics, EtherPort SE/30.  I can
> clearly see its ethernet controller chip, and it's DP8390.
[...]
> So, it's not enough the card is NIC based?  Hmm...  I'm building a
> kernel which continues anyway when it finds a Kinetics or Dayna card.
> I'll see what happens.

I have one of these cards too.  When I build the kernel (1.1) to continue
anyway it doesn't have a problem clearing the shared memory, but the MAC
address of the card is incorrect.  It was looking for it at
sc->rom_addr+(i*2), but it actually seems to be at sc->rom_addr+((i+1)*4).
After changing it so that it gets the proper MAC address, the machine boots
up normally and I can setup the interface but as soon as I do something like
ping an address other than local ones, the machine locks up.  Also, I
actually have to power off the machine, because when it dies it puts the
video card in a state where it never refreshes, even after rebooting.

Is the DP8390 similar to the DS8390 or are they totally different?  I have
some Cabletron DNI cards which use the DP8390 also.  They are identified as
Apple/Asante cards and come up with the correct MAC address, but then fail
at the "if ((memsize = ae_size_card_memory(sc)) == 0) return(0);" call.  I
tried just setting the memsize variable to 8192 (as is done for the Dayna
cards), but then I get a failure in clearing shared memory.

I'd really like to get both the EtherPort and the Cabletron cards working.
If anyone has any additional information about these cards or the DP8390,
I'd love to try and get the drivers working.

--
PPK