Subject: NetBSD on my IIci...
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason W. Fogt, WWC RCA <jwfogt@midway.uchicago.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/05/1995 09:39:11
Hello everyone.  Sorry for posting what is probably a common/ already
answered question, but I was unable to find the answer anywhere else.

I have just finished installing NetBSD 1.1 (which I ftp'ed from
netBSD.ORG) on my Mac IIci on my second external hard drive.  The hard
drive is an old Apple internal 80 that I have hard-coded to SCSI id #4
(i.e. it's a Quantum Prodrive ELS with an extra jumper.)  The IIci has 8M
of RAM, an Asante Ethernet Card, and uses built-in video.

When I run the 1.8 booter, after the boot/ cancel prompt, the screen
clears and it runs through a listing of nubus address ranges.  The last
one of these is:
	Low = 0x858000, high = 0x958000
Then it says:
get_mapping(): Too Many NuBus Ranges

then it runs through a short listing of what it calls

Non-system RAM: (nubus, etc.):
which ends with:
no internal video at address 0 -- video addr is 0xfbb08000

That statment scares me a little.  Does that mean that it couldn't find
my internal video, or is that normal ?

Anyway, it then continues:

Done.
Bootstrapping the pmap system.
Failure in BSD Boot.  nexpa = 0x4106000, high[0] = 0x4100000.
panic:  you're hosed !

Stopped at _Debugger +0x6 : unlk a6

db> unexpected trap:  vector offset 0x77 from 0xbef00000.

and then it hangs, and requires me to push the hardware reset button to
restart.  Any ideas on what is going wrong here ?  My initial suspicion
is that it (thinks) it is finding too many NuBus ranges and thus using
too much memory for them and having resulting problems booting.  Any help
would be appreciated.

Jason W. Fogt
Tech. Support Staff, Residence Halls and Commons at the University of Chicago

P.S.  I have tried booting from both System 7.5.1 (with all extensions
off) and 7.1 (again with all extensions off).  I have set video to 1 bit
(i.e. black & white), and have even set memory (in the booting...)
dialogue box to 7M, as recommended in a FAQ I read.

Jason

Jason W. Fogt             |"What then shall we say in response to this -  If
jwfogt@midway.uchicago.edu| God is for us, who can be against us ?" - Rom. 8:31