Subject: NetBSD/mac68k on a Powerbook ????
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Phil Taylor <phil@zipmail.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/05/1995 10:52:02
I have downloaded  the 1.1 snap off puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us and
installed it on an my Powerbook 150 on an external 40MB. The
installation seemed to work OK, other than an occasional
un-implemented instruction error (I re-booted and started the
installation again).

Using booted 1.8 I get plenty of unix type booting messages (looks
great up till now) then it  clears screen and :

[ preserving 89324 bytes of netbsd symbol table ]
Bootstrapping NetBSD/mac68k.
Getting mapping from MMU.

And there is hangs !!!!

Now, I am assuming that the Powerbook 150 has no FPU and that this is
an FPU related problem (excuse my ignorance but is an MMU the same
an FPU ?????)

Please excuse my ignorance but although I use Net/FreeBSD on pc's and
am playing with Linux/MIPS I am not quite up to speed on the Mac and
any guidance would be grately appreciated.

I remember the last time I tried to use NetBSD/mac68k I didn't get
past a telling me it was out of  'Miracle Whip and Oreos' so I
suppose this is an improvement ?????

Cheers

Phil