Subject: Re: FPU ?'s
To: David Bushong <dbushong@cory.eecs.berkeley.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@romulus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/04/1995 20:08:01
> 1) netbsd11 will *boot* on an fpu-less machine, but you "can't do much
>     useful" (i.e. run programs that require an fpu.. <- any examples?)

Correct.

> 2) kenn's kernel will allow *some* fpu-requiring binaries to run on fpu-less
>     machines (but since his work isn't merged with jpw's, not on, for
>     instance, a Classic II)

Well, the first point is correct for now.  Eventually FPE will allow
*all* "fpu-requiring binaries to run".  Secondly, FPE need not be merged
with John's work (there are two separate modules in the kernel).

> 3) The mac-side utils (booter, etc.) *do* run on an fpu-less machine?
>     (I've heard nasty rumors about them crashing w/ a "Coprocessor not found"
>     error)  If they don't, how can kenn's kernel be booted?

I think they do... I think I ran them on my IIsi with its FPU pulled
out.  But since the disk on the IIsi developed hardware problems, I
can't do much work on it until I buy another disk... (a big *ouch* to
my bank account)

Now that our finals week is getting closer, I can't put much time into
FPE, and I'll be away for Japan during the holidays spending every bit
of my time with my wife, so my sincere apologies in advance to those
who are waiting for FPE to be completed...

ken