Subject: Re: Novice problems
To: Dirk Smulders <Dirk.Smulders@ping.be>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/03/1995 16:47:47
> Looked and found version 1.1, installed it.
> I got now a Si that boots, goes as far as to show a # prompt but if I hit
> the return key (whatever characters in front) I get a debug prompt and
> "Kernel illegal instruction trap, trap type 2, code=0, v=0" and so on
> message.
> (setup should be ok: B/W, 16MB ram used, 32 bit mode, MacOS-system N1-7.1)

Which parts of 1.1 did you install? You did at minimum install base?

16MB ram used? A IIsi should have 17MB. Set the booter for "autosize".
I had a problem where not using the full memory croaked the kernel (a
long time ago we had to set the memory to 1MB less than real - not
any longer).

VM is off? You are booting single user?

Once you get into the debugger, try typing "trace" (I think that's the
command). It should print out a list of routine names; basically it's
telling you where it had been to get to the error. Others on the
mailing list can then gestemate what's wrong. :-)

Good luck!

Take care,

Bill