Subject: Re: NetBSD1.1 binary problems
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/02/1995 23:04:54
> The only problem is, the adb ps error shows up on the booter side, not
> the kernel side.  It's about 3/4 the way to the point at which the dumb
> terminal (Power Mac) starts getting output.

Ah... Right.  Serial boot echo used to echo from the beginning...

> After reformatting and reintalling the base package, I can't bring the
> drive up write-enabled because there's some mismatch between the drive
> and some file in the etc folder.

Umm..  If you're booting single-user, the filesystems have not been
mounted read/write yet.  If you're boot multi-user, then you need to
make sure the /etc/fstab reflects reality.

> Just out of  mere curiosity, would it be at all beneficial to upgrade to
> the release version of 1.1 from the Alpha version?  Will it make things
> better or worse when I move the drive to a IIsi?

There are only minor differences between the two, but it's usually a
good idea to install a release version of any software if you don't
plan to be continually following the bleeding edge.  This is especially
true of NetBSD where a snapshot may be taken at any time and it might be
virtually impossible to resurrect all the proper source files if you
run into a problem months later--for released versions, it's easy.

> As a footnote, does anyone know if pgp will compile under NetBSD?  If so,
> will it run?  Would it be infinitely easier just to run it MacOS-side?

It should.  I've never tried to compile or run it on either, but I've
only had minor problems with some software in porting to NetBSD/mac68k.

> P.S.  I usually omit most of the signature except on local mail.  Sorry.

:-)  That much text is usually what .plans are for...  ;-)

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **
   Where does all my time go?  <a href="http://www.netbsd.org/">Guess.</a>