Subject: Re: NetBSD1.1 binary problems
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/02/1995 20:52:42
> I can't even *find* an error log file to cpout and post.

There won't be one--it's not got anywhere to store one, yet!  If you're
using a serial boot echo, and a 2nd computer, you should be able to save
the serial output.

> If anyone has any idea how, I'd love to see an fsck utility on the MacOS-
> side.

It would take some porting work...  There is, however, an FPE that is
functional enough to run fsck.  I need to build a 1.1 kernel with that
installed to give some people that option.

> Is there a way to create
> a bare-bones NetBSD runtime/kernel package that would fit on a floppy (as
> soon as the floppy drive works, of course) as a way of doing an emergency
> startup to fsck the root?

The idea is to allow this from a "Miniroot."  Indeed, that option does
exist now.  It just hasn't been exploited, yet.  You'd boot off the
kernel and miniroot--both stored on the MacOS drive.  If we can get
an HFS filesystem going, we should be able to do installs with that
as well (we can do that now, if you're on a network--the tools need
some work for that to be a reasonable option, though).

> |         And the Lord Said,            |          it is death.         |
> |        Thou Shalt Not Quote           |            --Soran,           |
> |            signatures....          ___|___   Star Trek Generations    |

Sheesh--if everyone had signatures like that, I think that rule would be
enforced much more often.  And probably more decisively.

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **
   Where does all my time go?  <a href="http://www.netbsd.org/">Guess.</a>