Subject: Re: problem with 1.1
To: None <PRICEJ@CEBAF.GOV>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/02/1995 16:12:34

> I've been seeing the following message a lot since upgrading:
>
> 	{date/time/nodename} /netbsd: zs0a: fifo overrun
>
> Should I be worried...?

Not strongly. We've switched to using the serial driver from the
sun & sparc port. One thing it does (which we didn't do before) is
to tell us when there's a fifo overrun. So it could be that you're
learning about a pre-existing problem.

That said, fifo overruns mean data is being lost. What conditions
are these errors occuring under? Make sure you're using transfer tools
which check for errors. How fast are you running the port? Even though
you can receive at 57600, the ports aren't reliable for reception at
that rate (probably not much above 19.2 or 28.8). In fact, some people
have seen transfer rates go up after lowering the baud rate because of
the reduced errors (lowered down to around 19.2 or 28.8). YMMV.

Take care,

Bill