Subject: Re: NetBSD1.1 binary problems
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/02/1995 17:03:23
> At 03:16 PM 11/27/95, Allen Briggs wrote:
> >I hope to have some of these fixed in patches to 1.1, but I need some
> >help on it.  Is anyone else experiencing SE/30 (or II or IIx or IIcx)
> >keyboard problems with 1.1_ALPHA?  I have not seen that problem.  I'm
> >also waiting for some feedback on the SCSI problems (that I have not
> >encountered).

After a couple of months of trying, I finally got a kernel that will run
on my PB145, but only through the serial port.  Still getting:

ps adb failure (string of numbers)
(string of numbers)
timed out....

I can't even *find* an error log file to cpout and post.

If anyone has any idea how, I'd love to see an fsck utility on the MacOS-
side.  The "Magic Number" on my Root partition got screwed up, the fsck
won't work without an FPU, since the kernel (netbsd.9.26) doesn't seem to
include the fpe, and crashes with the message Floating-Point exception
error, core dumped.  Upon trying to execute a program, the system dropped
into the debugger.  I kept continuing and it eventually restarted.  The
booter tjem refused to recognize my root partition.  If an fsck existed
MacOS-side, I could have fixed it.  Fortunately, no great loss, only a
little bit of install time wasted... this time.  Is there a way to create
a bare-bones NetBSD runtime/kernel package that would fit on a floppy (as
soon as the floppy drive works, of course) as a way of doing an emergency
startup to fsck the root?  If not, are there any MacOS apps that can
execute 68k binaries?

On a final note, if anyone ever decides to update the installer, I only
would like one additional feature: am rm * command to clear an entire
directory.  I never use the manual pages and don't have room on my
external drive to hold them.

Now I have to go and delete a few megs of man pages.

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |
<SIG>                                                                   |
|               The only difference between life and death              |
|                  is that life will eventually end....                 |
|_______________________________________________________________________|
|     THE ELEVENTH COMMANDMENT:         |   If there is one constant    |
|                                       |       in this universe,       |
|         And the Lord Said,            |          it is death.         |
|        Thou Shalt Not Quote           |            --Soran,           |
|            signatures....          ___|___   Star Trek Generations    |
|___________________________________|  ,,,  |---------------------------|
|                                     |o o|                             |
|/-------------------------------vvv--'-v-'--vvv-----------------------\|
|___|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|____|
|_|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|
|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|_|
|___|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|____|
|_|______|______|      La vie...  est interessante        |______|______|
|______|______|_|      La mort... est interessante        |____|______|_|
|___|______|____|      Mais cela... ce n'est rien!        |_|______|____|
|______|______|_|  ...Much learning doth make thee mad.   |____|______|_|

You can use pgp to send me encrypted messages using my public key (below).

</SIG>